Speech and Language UK have designated Wednesday 29th November as ‘No Pens Day’. This is a chance for schools to get involved, raise awareness and funds for the charity and have a day where talking and listening take over the curriculum. Speech and Language UK want to raise awareness of the 1.9 million children who find talking and understanding words a challenge, and the work they are doing to support. Once you sign up, a classroom pack of resources including home leaflets, certificates, lesson plans and activity ideas are provided.
nasen encourages teachers to consider how visuals support listening and understanding for those pupils with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN).
See our website for resources to develop staff understanding:
- Speech, Language and Communication Needs in the classroom webcast
- What is...'receptive language' summary document
- Supporting children with Speech, Language and Communication Needs: Early Years
The Universal SEND programme has online CPD units for staff around the theme of SLCN:
- Unit 4: An introduction to speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
- Unit 5: Identifying and supporting speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
- Unit 6: Supporting the development of speech, language and communication skills
- Unit 7: Creating a learning environment that supports speech, language and communication
- Unit 8: Understanding behaviour as communication