This topic is suitable to all staff delivering or supporting maths within a specialist setting. The course will explore the pedagogy of early mathematical development through to the concrete-pictorial-abstract approach. This course will examine the importance of practical experiences to enhance mathematical understanding and develop a greater awareness of fluency, reasoning and problem-solving for pupils with SEND.
What will this course cover?
- Pedagogy of early mathematical development and the impact on reasoning
- The concrete-pictorial-abstract approach to mathematical development and its importance in problem solving
- How fluency, reasoning and problem-solving presents for pupils with SEND
What are the potential benefits to you and the children or young people you work with?
- Greater understanding of the building blocks of mathematical development
- Practical support for development of mathematical fluency
- Greater awareness of reasoning and its presentation for pupils with SEND
Suitable for: Assistant Head Teacher, Deputy Head Teacher, Early Years Practitioner, Head Teacher, Newly Qualified Teacher
Meet your trainer
Education Officer at nasen
Zoe began her career on the Graduate Teaching Programme in 2000 as a secondary maths teacher. She then furthered her practice across several secondary schools holding roles including outreach and SENCO. Her most recent post before joining nasen, was as Assessment and Achievement Lead as part of the SLT of an autism-specific all-through special school.